Saturday, December 15, 2012

Decorating Dreams

As I've mentioned in a few posts, we'll be moving to New Mexico at the beginning of 2013. The upside to the whole thing is that we're working on getting our own home. OUR OWN HOME! OURS! Not the Air Forces...not a rental...OURS! I'm over the moon about the whole things considering I'd FINALLY get to decorate my house the way I'd want to. When you live in base housing, you pay out the wazoo to fix things (like a smudge on the carpet, or a pin hole in the wall from hanging a picture)...and landlords can be jerk offs when it comes down to you changing wall colors and, again, pesky holes from pictures. 

In my current house, I only have a total of eight things on the walls...it's a little depressing. And I was only able to do that because the holes were existing. If you didn't know any better, you'd think we hated family pictures or something. SO, first thing in our new home is that ALLLLL the fun family pictures we've taken over the years will go up! Yippy! 

One thing that I'd love to do is paint our stairs to look like iconic books. This is a FABULOUS example of what I'm talking about! We're all book nerds, so this would be very appropriate for us:


There's a closet right off to the side when you come in the front door. I'm thinking about making it like a "coat rack" sort of area where Eric can hang all of his junk, in addition to an area where I can hang my purse so it's not taking up space on the counter. I'm torn between the two different ways it can be done, but I'm sort of digging the first option:



Of course, I want to install roll out shelves in the closets for bath towels and various bedding things..


When it comes to the kitchen, I want to do something sort of like this (but in a toned down color) by using a flat paint then doing designs in the same color, but with a gloss finish. I think it'd really pick up the scroll designs on the kitchen table as well as the hutch we have: 


The main project I'm going to do is going to be awesome. Time consuming, but very awesome. I've wanted to do a family tree painting for quite some time, but since we're never allowed to paint on walls that didn't belong to us, I had to sit and bide my time. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:


Well, now that we'll have our own house, I can actually do the mural!!! After searching for a while in terms of something that tickled my fancy, I finally stumbled across a very colorful tree picture that would be *perfect* as a family tree for our families:


Now I just gotta do the footwork to get old pictures from when various family members were kids, or when they got married to add to the mix. I'm rather stoked to start that project once we're all settled in. Eric's pretty excited about it himself because he wants to see how OUR home is going to turn out once we're finished with it. 

Of course, there's lots and lots of other stuff I wanna do, especially since I'll still have a fair amount of free time on my hands till I manage to find some sort of job to pass my time. I'm already working on getting stuff set up for John in terms of a school...that should be fun!

At this time, we're still in the works for the house, but we've put an offer down, it was countered and we've settled on it. Actually, I just got an email while I'm writing this that the offer was accepted, so YAY! Still lots of stuff to do, but it's inching ever so closer to obtaining a home for us to...well..come home to when we move! 

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!


0 comments: