Saturday, November 26, 2011

T-Day 2.0

For the last three Thanksgivings since we've been overseas, we've actually spent them at a friends house with practically half the base because she makes UH-mazing food! It's all Southern style, that's all I gotta say. But, Eric and I made a deal that I'll still make "Thanksgiving" the following day so we'll have our own stockade of Thanksgiving goodies to live off of for the next however many days. Mainly, so we can back some pretty bitchin' "T-Day" sandwiches. Hence, T-Day 2.0


I made the usual spread which consisted of a turkey (this year it was almost eighteen pounds) as well as "gluttony" potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberries, and baked rolls. Then for dessert, I made a Pumpkin Trifle since I'm not all that fabulous at making pumpkin pie. AND, I actually got to bust out some of my pretty table settings and plates since we had a couple over for dinner. Since we've been over here, it's kinda sad that we don't have events at our house due to limited space.

Here's my turkey...it's "rub" consisted of thyme, sage, garlic, and garlic olive oil. It may look a little shiesty cause of the thyme, but it came out SO good! The turkey was practically falling apart :) 


My "gluttony" potatoes consist of red potatoes, mushrooms, green onions, bacon, garlic, pepper and butter. YES, it's calorie friendly! In fact, you'll lose weight when you eat 'em..'scouts honor. 


I made a green bean casserole as well, but I didn't manage to get a picture of it since our guests arrived and we were all pretty hungry at that point. SO, I was able to get a quick pic of our mini T-Day. Compared to how we normally do Thanksgiving (when we're stateside), this feel so incredibly dinky cause we have such a small kitchen / dining room to work with. When we pulled out both leafs on the table, it made it so you couldn't get to the other side of the room unless you were willing to crawl under it. 


Makes me a little sad because I'm used to doing larger dinners when I'm back home with the rest of the clan. When we did it in California, the main table in the dining room would be used in addition to a secondary table in another room to fit everyone. 



I guess you can say that's one of the few things I miss about being in the States. Not only would I have all my loved ones available to cook for, but I have more room to work with when it comes to a kitchen and dining room!! 




0 comments: